180 RIVER ROAD
telephone: (207) 372-8174
TENANTS HARBOR, MAINE 04860
Steve Lindsay was born in Huntington, N.Y. in 1953. He grew up on the North
Shore of Long Island, just outside New York City. In 1971, he graduated from
Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts and moved to New York City,
where he worked as an apprentice cabinetmaker at the Pardini-Bertoli Fine
Furniture Company and as a piano player at Loob's Beer and Eat.
In 1974, he moved to Canada, where he spent the next two years studying wood
sculpture with Pierre Bourgault and Herman Raby at the École de Sculpture sur
Bois in St. Jean-Port Joli, Quebec.
In 1976, he moved back to the States, eventually settling in the town of St.
George on the coast of Maine. There he set up a studio, and began showing
his sculpture around the Northeast.
He is best known for his direct carvings made from locally available wood
and stone. He also makes woodcut prints. For the most part, his work is
representational, and ranges from portraits to gargoyles, and from small
delicate carvings to over-lifesize figures hewn from massive logs. He has to
his credit a number of large commissioned works, both public and private.
- Caldbeck Gallery, Rockland, Me.
- June La Combe, Pownal, Me.
- The Drawing Room, St. George, Me.
- Greenhut Galleries, Portland, Maine
- Past, Present, Future
- Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport, Maine 2002
- The Log Show
- Maine Coast Artists, Rockport, Maine 1999
- The Drawing Room
- "Sculpture and the Landscape"
- Audubon Farm, Falmouth, Maine 1994
- "Sculpture in the Garden"
- Audubon Farm, Falmouth, Maine 1993
- "Steve Lindsay"
- "15 Sculptors"
- Round Top Center for the Arts
Damariscotta, Maine 1990
- "Steve Lindsay & Ron Cross"
- "Signing In"
- the Barn Gallery, Ogunquit, Me. 1989
- Farnsworth Museum Juried Exhibition
- "Steve Lindsay and Lise Becu"
- University of Maine at Augusta 1988
- "Six Sculptors"
- Maine Coast Artists, Rockport, Me. 1987
- Caldbeck Gallery
- "Fresh Paint" the Hurlbutt Gallery
- Greenwich Conn. Public Library 1985
- Maine Coast Artists
- (with T. Van Campen) Rockport, Me. 1984
- "Tradition, Transition, New Vision"
- the Addison Gallery of American Art,
Andover, Mass. 1983
- "Sculpture and Drawings" (group show)
- Maine Biennial, University of Southern Maine
- "No Art Just Sculpture"
- "The Art of Wood in Maine"
- Bowdoin College Museum of Art
Brunswick, Me. 1977
- attended the ÉCOLE DE SCULPTURE SUR BOIS
- St. Jean-Port Joli, Quebec 1974-1976
- attended the Art Students League, NYC
- studying briefly with Jose de Creeft and
Sidney Simon 1980
- Commission for the Maine Maritime Museum permanent exhibit "Lobstering and the Maine Coast"
- Participant at the Fifth Annual Kemijarvi Wood Sculpture Symposium
- Maine Percent-For-Art Commission, Central Elementary School, North New Portland 1989
Maine Percent-For-Art Commission, Secretary of State's Office Building
- (Nash Building), Augusta, Maine 1989
Maine Percent-For-Art Commission, Biddeford Primary School, Biddeford, Maine
Maine Percent-For-Art Commission, Lura Libby School, Thomaston, Maine
"NATIVITY" - sculpture commission for Church of the Nativity
- Bethlehem, Connecticut 1992
"KENNY" - sculpture commission for a "Kennebunkport" restaurant
Maine Percent-For-Art Commissions, New Levant Elementary School, Levant, Maine
- "LION" 1997
- "WEST LEVANT, 1920" 1998
Participant, "l’Internationale de la Sculpture", St. Jean Port Joli, Quebec 1998